These are some of YWILPF’s current activities that you can be involved with:
- Providing input and advice to the Australian government’s Office for Women on The Australian National Action Plan on Women, Peace and Security
- Raising awareness of the Women, Peace and Security agenda amongst the broader community
- Speaking at high schools about young women’s leadership
- Promoting the work of the Women, Peace and Security Academic Collective which is comprised of inspiring academics working on these issues globally
- Supporting various community based women’s rights networks in the Asia-Pacific (including FemLINK Pacific in Fiji, and Leitana Nehan Women’s Development Agency in Bougainville)
- Seeking to establish a radio internship program that will see a young women from FemLINKPacific come to Australia for a 6-8 week radio broadcasting and activism program.
- Participating in the UN Commission on the Status of Women in New York as members of WILPF Australia
- Supporting the Arms Trade Treaty to be responsive to international law on prevention of gender-based violence through WILPF’s Make It Binging campaign.
- Fundraising for WILPF Australia and WILPF International
- Supporting our members to participate in internship projects with WILPF International in Geneva and with PeaceWomen and Reaching Critical Will in New York
- Working with Young UN Women Australia on their Women, Peace and Security work
Please contact us if you want to get involved: email@example.com.
The way we work and time commitments
YWILPF is an inclusive group, and new members are always welcome. Members are welcome to put forward project proposals in the spirit of YWILPF’s objectives, and we work collaboratively through face-to-face meetings and online to achieve these projects. Members have completed the following: written submissions to the CEDAW panel; collaborated on submissions to government; been interviewed for documentaries; undertaken research projects and presented findings at a Symposium at the University of Melbourne; undertaken fundraising projects (grant proposal writing, holding events).
Most of our members have full-time work, carer and life duties, and so take action for YWILPF whenever able to commit some time to a project . You can take action on any or all of the areas that WILPF works on without being a WILPF affiliate (your voice is strong) through writing letters, spreading the word and involving your friends and family in the debate. Or, you can take action together with us (together our voices can become stronger!).